Knittymama

Monday, September 18, 2006

Invasion!

Okay, maybe it's not an invasion yet, I'm not sure what it is, I only know this fact: I found a sock with a very suspicious looking hole in it on Saturday. A sock that was callously left with it's mate and another pair on my closet floor all summer long, because as you faithful readers know, eating and clean underwear have been the major household goals since Knittybaby has joined our family. Actually folding laundry and cleaning the floors come in second. Then there are the toys to pick up. Handwashing and lovingly packing my handknits away for the summer? Didn't even make the list.

On to the hole. A year and a half ago, while doing the spring washing and packing of all things woolen, I found a weird hole in an angora sweater I owned. I washed it thoroughly, and packed it in a brown paper bag because Martha Stewart says moths can't eat through cellulose. I found no other trace of anything mothish and forgot about it. Until Saturday.

I looked at everything else made of animal fiber in my closet. No more holes. Nothing suspicious. The other three socks looked fine. Clapotis? Untouched. Mod City? Nothing. I emptied my closet, vaccuumed thoroughly, and threw the socks in water for a half hour, then hung them outside. They are still there. What else do I do?

My stash is in another room, another closet. It seems okay. What do I do with the sock? Toss it? Unravel and reuse? Am I now hugely at risk for mass moth infestation? Or can you just have a tiny moth hole in your sock and have that be the end of it? The biggest thing is I don't have the time to really go through each and every skein of yarn with a fine tooth comb. Am I too delusional to think this is the end of it?

Asise from the hole, Saturday just got better and better. You want to know what totally makes up for the lack 0f quiet morning coffee time? Snuggling with your boys at bedtime. There is nothing that makes a bad day alright again and a good day even better than that!

|