Knittymama

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Phew!

Thanks for all the back to school well-wishes! I made it through my first "week" and have decided I'll definitely be liking elementary school. It's the schedule that is gonna kill us. Today it was me getting up at 5:15, to work by 7, done by 11, then home so Mr. No-Name can get to work, then the library, shopping, cooking, bathtime, dishes, bedtime....I can't believe I've done all this in one day. I guess I'm lucky I've got a part time job I enjoy. Couldn't imagine having to do all this and have a job I can't stand, but it still bums me out that I've got to go back to work. I know we can manage it all, but still, it's so depressing that there are so many moms out there like me who really want to be home but whether it's due to health insurance needs (like us) or just financial stuff in general, just can't. I could write pages on this, but don't have the energy right now. Let's just say I've been thinking a lot lately on the whole having-to-work/lack of decent maternity leave and pay/working and parenting in American society and yadda yadda yadda.....it just depresses me because I know our family would be a lot better off if I could just be home all the time until the boys are grown up more and ready for school. But, so be it. I don't want to be too much of a downer because considering our situation, things really couldn't have worked out better. The boys are still home full time and I guess the benefit is they get both Mom and Dad, which is pretty cool. It's just tough when one plan you had really been hoping for didn't work out.

Okay, I'm off my rant and on to knitting! I really wanted pictures tonight, but I'm too tired to find the camera and get everything organized, so here's a little description of what you'll see next post:

1. My final SP8 package arrived!!! My SP8 was Christine of Crisis of Praxis. Once again she gave me an awesome package: Cherry Tree Hill yarn in a beautiful fall colorway, a book I've been dying for, Ann Budd's "Handy Book of Knitting Patterns," another pair of super-cute baby socks for Knittybaby, and some amazingly good chocolate! This SP8 experience has been a great one and Christine, you were a wonderful pal! I cracked up when I read your blog and saw that you ate my chocolate; believe me, I know how hard it is to not eat choclolate that is in your house (just ask Little Man what happened to his Easter bunny). And no worries about the socks. It's no fun stressing over a project deadline. Cherry Tree Hill is one of my favorite yarns and I've got a million sock patterns I'm wanting to try, so you were right on with that one! I promise I'll post pictures soon, thank you again so very much!!!

2. Knitting; I've finished my first pair of toe-ups! The last panel of the Heirloom shawl is underway.

3. Sewing: wait 'till you see the fabric I bought.

And with that, off to bed.....

|