Knittymama

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Color By color By Color.......


fi2
Originally uploaded by knittymama.
So this is my big resurrected project, the Color By Color scarf by Kathryn Alexendar in the "Scarf Style" book. I started in with a knit-along last winter and after getting through the first 10 sections, got tired of it and put it away. Now first of all, I have to say I absolutely LOVE this scarf. The color and design are amazing and I can't wait until the day comes when I can actually wear it. However, I have to say this is by far the most complicated item I have ever knit and it gives me a headache half the time I'm working on it.

So what's the problem? When I first started this I thought it would be easy. Knit up a bunch of squares and rectangles, throw on a few i-cords and some fair isle and you're set. HA! I am naive. Because...
1. We are dealing with 48 colors, all in little 8 yard strands of Paternayan embroidery yarn, which has to be separated from 3-ply to 1 or 2-ply. Keeping track of all that is a headache right there.
2. The blocks never seem to match up. The guage is never quite right and you have to do a lot of fudging to make it all fit together.
3. I-cords everywhere. Section 12 has 30 of them alone!!!!! All on size two needles, 2 or 3 colors each. I get a tension headace just thinking about it.

So here I am, back to the scarf. I really love this thing, despite the complications, and in the last two weeks of winter break I finished the fair isle section and section 12. Can I keep up? That is the question!!!

As far as the multiple posts today below....I figured out how to post using Flickr, but I can only post one picture per blog entry (unless I can find another way) so all I can think to do is multiple posts of pictures for now. I'll keep searching (or hope for a free upgrade to OSX and then this problem is eliminated!)

|