Knittymama

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Safe no more....

So my yarn closet is in the family playroom. Despite the fact the the latch is broken, the LIttle Man so far has remained oblivious to it as long as the door is closed. My yarn, fiber and needles have rested safely inside, until yesterday.

After two days of not enough sleep and a day of packing up boxes in a swealtering classroom alongside students who are in serious need of summer break, I was tired out. Not regular tired out, but more the "walking dead" kind of tired. No problem if DH was in good sorts, but he had a long two days and was in the same condition. So here are Mama and Daddy, lounging in the living room in that state of half awake/half asleep that you have to stay in when you have a toddler: eyes closed, ears wide open. Little Man is in the playroom, playing quietly with his trains and nicely giving us a little break. But then this conversation starts up:

LM: "Mama, my toys!"

Me: "Yup, baby."

LM: "Toys, see my, toys"

Me: :Uh-huh"

LM: "My toys, mama, my toys, see my toys!"

By this time I'm hearing more of a commotion so I decided it's time to stop trusting my ears and see what he's up to. I usually only give him a few minutes by himself before I peek in, as you can only trust your ears so much with a 2 year old. I'm expecting something broken, or some new amazing use for toy trains, but no....his "toys?" MY YARN!!!!!! He has found that he can indeed, open up the yarn closet. He has taken all my fiber, a half knit hat, and a few skeins of yarn and spread them all out all over the floor. He also had blue fiber stuck between his toes, which I thought was a nice touch. Nice toys, huh? Luckily, he didn't get into the needle/supply box and nothing was unravelled, but I am getting a serious lock for that closet, and making it clear that those are "Mama's toys." :-)

Needless to say, no knitting was done last night. All three of us were sacked out in bed by 9:30 last night. Which is a bummer, because I was really hoping to get LM's vest done by Saturday for our friend's wedding. Maybe by my niece's baptism!

|