Knittymama

Thursday, January 25, 2007

slow

I've barely gotten anything done this week. I had my first "Down and Dirty Pattern Drafting" class at the Textile Center and managed to make myself a basic skirt pattern. Next week we make a bodice and the final week we do fittings and tweak the patterns. The teacher is great and it's nice to have a whole three hours of worktime. The only bummer is that there is no actual sewing done in the class, that's all homework. I really have no idea how to sew from a pattern. I've been making up my own stuff and just measuring. But I've gotten a couple of good basic books so I think I'll be okay.

I was supposed to get together to spin last night with a friend, but Little Man changed those plans. He's been really into cooking with me lately and is a pretty good helper, although he really wants to get to work at the stove, which has been my big no-no. Well, despite my many, many warnings of "that will burn your skin right off, don't touch!!!" he decided to see for himself. He had his back to the sink and was working at the counter. I brought over a pot of boiled root veggies to drain, and before I could say "look out" he turns around and sticks his hand under the water as I'm pouring it out - on purpose!! I thought for sure we'd be off to the ER. The Skeptic got him under cold water and I consulted my trusty Dr. Sears while listening to my poor boy scream like I've never heard him. After sufficient monitoring we decided he didn't need to go in. Amazingly he's got nothing more than first degree burns. We gave him Tylenol and ran out for burn cream and this morning he was just about good as new, looking like his hand got a sunburn. Needless to say, no spinning was done last night! I'm hoping at least now he's learned to believe Mommy, but oh, did my poor boy cry.

The donations for the Greyhound Pets of America-Minnesota craft fair have been arriving, and I need to get mine finished up tonight. I'm way behind as I totally forgot it's the end of the semester and I have grades to do, all 300 students! I'm mostly done so I'm off to finish my scarves. Once I'm done and I've got everything ready to get picked up I'll take pictures and get thanks out to the donators.

Then, maybe I'll actually get my mittens done.

|