Knittymama

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Keeping it Real

I was reading All Buttoned Up today and was inspired by her messiness and well, normalcy. I've been feeling in a funk lately about the perpetual state of mess in our house, torn between just wanting so say the hell with everyone else...no one plays, paints, knits, fixes, putters, or relaxes until this place is clean and organized, OR, realizing that I'm a mom with two little boys and while some semblance of order is necessary, there are more important things in life than living like Martha Stewart.

So, with the thought of keeping it real, here's the mess that I try to create in:

This was actually a cleaner day today. It's just me in my dining room, a small sea of toys and Knittybaby meandering in the background. Usually the sea of toys is much larger. Little Man and the Skeptic are downstairs in the Skeptic's shop, fixing, puttering and other shop-like stuff. I know, you're thinking, "The Skeptic gets a shop and you're sewing in the dining room?!?" But our basement is an old basement, built when basements were not meant for sewing/knitting/spinning rooms. The Skeptic often tries to get me to knit down there while he's working, but it's not exactly cozy. So I'm happy with my yarn closet and whatever I piece together around my messy yet happy house.

What am I making? Curtains, for the playroom/craft room. I do share an upstairs room with the boys, but it's mostly playroom with my craft stuff all hidden away in the closet and on shelves. I finished up the last two curtains today and will take pictures the next time we get a sunny day.


Today was a lovely day. The boys were in just the right mood. I got out to yoga class and stopped by the Textile Center to sign up for a sewing class and a full weekend spinning class. I've decided that I need some uninterrupted time out of the house to really focus on my sewing and spinning so I'm a bit more comfortable with both. Right now it's a lot like when I started knitting: slow and careful. I want to get to the point where I don't have to think so hard about it.

It's late and I want to get back to my mittens. I started casting on the second last night and don't want to lose my momentum. Thanks for all the kind comments!

|