Knittymama

Thursday, May 18, 2006

SP8

Well, here is my SP8 info. I'm so excited, this is my first Secret Pal! I've always wanted to do one, so here we go...

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I'm definetely more of a natural fibers person. Love wool and alpaca. Not a fan of acrylics. I'm okay with some novelty yarns, like ribbon, just not the really furry/gaudy stuff.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a straight needle case that my grandma made for me, and a crochet needle case for my double points, but since it's really for crochet needles it's too short so they always fall out. My poor circs? Jumbled up in a bag!

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I started knitting a few months after Little Man was born, so that would be close to three years. Geez, it seems so much longer than that! I'm intermediate, I'd guess.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yup! right here

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
lavender and citrus, but only the all natural stuff like you'd find at a coop/natural foods place. I'm allergic to most synthetic stuff.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I love chocolate, especially dark chocolate!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I'm learning to spin and bought my spinning wheel last summer. I 've sewn a bit, but my sewing machine is grumpy so I don't do it much. I like flower gardening when I get the time.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like classical, jazz, folk and folk/rock the most, but I'm pretty much open to anything that's not mainstream pop. Yup to MP3's.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? Wow, that's hard! I'm partial to reds, blues, and browns but I really love just about anything. My least favorite would be the "baby" pastels as I tend to be drawn more towards brighter colors or jewel tones. Oh, and although I love each color separately, I hate pink/purple varigated; reminds me of Barbie dolls :-)

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I've got two boys, 3 years and 2 months, and a husband of 8 years. I've got two cats and a greyhound.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to all! I couldn't make it through a Minnesota winter w/out them, especially my scarves. I made one poncho, but now I think I'm kind of getting tired of the poncho thing :-)

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I love to make socks! I also like to make stuff for my boys and sweaters for me, although I haven't actually finished one yet! They are both UFO's. Felted bags are fun too.

13. What are you knitting right now? A baby shawl and sweater for my youngest, socks for me, a shawl for me, dishcloths for my brother.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes I do! :-)

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Usually circular, addis or bamboo, but the more slippery bamboo like Crystal Palace. I also have a set of Denise needles that I love.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? yup, yup

17. How did you learn to knit? My Grandma! :-)

18. How old is your oldest UFO? 2 years. It's the Barbara Walker Learn-to-Knit afaghan. There are 63 squares. I'm only on 9!

19. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas

20. Is there anything that you collect?
Other than yarn, patterns and CD's, I'm an anti-collector, LOL. I've been trying to de-clutter the past year, not that it seems to be helping much. All my new spaces keep getting filled with toys and little boy clothes :-)

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Wow, that's hard because there are so many new ones! I really like "Wendy Knits" or "The Knitting Answer Book." I'd love to get my hands on some of the great handpainted sock yarn coming out of all the Etsy shops lately, or "Socks that Rock" as I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I subscribe to "Vogue Knitting," "Interweave Knits" and "Spin Off."

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Lace! And although I've practiced on cable swatches, I've yet to make an actual garment. Magic loop would be cool too.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I love to knit socks. Size 8 shoe, length 9 and 3/4 inches, circ below the calf about 10 inches.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 3/29

Thank you Secret Pal!!! :-) This is going to be fun!

|